DIY How-to

Configuring Enphase Envoy for wifi without ethernet cord

This is a how-to for connecting your Enphase Envoy (the oval one with the LCD screen) to connect to a home Wi-Fi network, without using an ethernet cable or the Enphase Installer Toolkit app.

Enphase’s how-to guides give you about 80% of the information you need to do this, below are notes on things I figured out to fill in the other 20%.  Their guidance is geared toward installers, while this post is for homeowners who want to connect their Envoy to the home Wi-Fi network and don’t have a WPS button on their router or need to use another option.

I’ve highlighted in purple the parts that I didn’t find documented on the web.

In my case, I was connecting the Envoy to a Wi-Fi mobile hotspot that does not have a WPS button.

You’ll need a USB wi-fi adapter, essentially an antenna that plugs into the back of the Envoy.  Enphase says you should use their proprietary one, I used an old, cheap generic one just fine.  Plug the adapter into the Envoy’s USB slot closest to the middle of the Envoy before getting started.

How to

Hold down the “menu” button on the side of the Envoy, cycling through until you get to “Enable Wi-Fi AP” or similar [I didn’t take photos so my terms might not be precise in this post].  That turns on a wi-fi hotspot called “Envoy_######”.

Connect to that network with your computer.  Now browse to the IP address of the Envoy, which is not the one displayed on the Envoy’s LCD screen.  I found that IP address by going to the command prompt and typing ipconfig.  The IP address you want should be the last one listed, under “Default Gateway” (if this doesn’t work, try others listed).  Type this into your browser window.  [The “command prompt” and ipconfig are for Windows, you may need other commands to find the Envoy’s IP address on Mac or Linux].  If you can’t connect to the Envoy’s Wi-Fi, try disabling WPS via the Envoy’s menu.

Now you’re browsing the Envoy’s options.  Click the “administration” link, the right-most of the top links.  Log in with the credentials admin / admin.

Browse to the options for connecting to Wi-Fi — the bottom entry on the left menu, “Wifi Configuration”.  Enter the credentials for the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to and press “test.”  The testing process will temporarily turn off the Envoy’s Wi-Fi network as it tries to connect to another network.  You must reconnect to the Envoy’s Wi-Fi network quickly to see the results of the test and, if it’s successful, tell it to join that network.  The Envoy’s network will come back up in a minute and you want to join it immediately.  I toggled my laptop’s Wi-Fi receiving on and off until Envoy_###### reappeared, then joined it and reloaded the last URL of the Wi-Fi setup (in my case that was http://###.##.1.2/admin/lib/wireless_display).

If you don’t reconnect to the Envoy quickly, you may miss the test results and get stuck testing it again and again.

A successful test result looks like this:

After you click “Join” the Envoy’s Wi-Fi AP will turn off which will kick your computer off the network.  But that’s fine.  In a minute or two you should see on the Envoy’s LCD screen a “W” prefix on its IP address showing that’s it’s connected to Wi-Fi, and a few minutes later, “+Web” on the top right of the Envoy’s screen indicating that it has internet access.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *